[Area 4] 40 items added

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 14 23:07:34 UTC 2015

Dear Siva,

I was not aware that the IANA Function is currently being conducted by
an operator legally distinct from ICANN. In fact, I'm surprised by this,
having worked for the IANA in 2007 and know many of the staff who report
to Elise Gerich, V.P., IANA & Technical Operations. When did this
outsourcing take place, or am I misunderstanding and the scenario is
positing that at some future point in time ICANN (or its successor in
interest) will outsource to a "backend operator", and this "backend
operator" will subsequently sue ICANN (or its successor in interest) for
the purposes of remaining the incumbent "backend operator"?

I think this is the last question I will ask about #23.

Thanks again, and I appreciate that this is one of Olivier's scenarios,
so "I don't know" would be quite understandable, and any response would
be appreciated as a personal courtesy, again, with the WS4 list copied
only to provide a record of the question.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon