[ST-WP] For 15-Jul ST-WP call: Updating our Stress Tests to reflect queries and public comments

Steve DelBianco sdelbianco at netchoice.org
Mon Jul 13 01:23:17 UTC 2015

As promised on our 8-Jul call, I updated our section on Stress Tests to reflect our discussion:

Added both stress tests suggested by Chris Disspain involving California courts.  See pages 25-26.

Slightly edited ST #12 regarding internal capture prevention.

Added 2 stress tests suggested by Post & Kehl in public comments.  See pages 27-28

Added a stress test on “rogue voting”.  See page 29

Added all 4 of the NTIA suggested stress tests.  See pages 30 - 33

First attachment is the updated ST doc for discussion on our next call, in prep for our presentation in Paris on Friday afternoon.
Second attachment is redline from ST section we published on 3-May for public comment.
Third attachment is the public comment notes document we discussed last week.

Still need to review the ICANN board/legal memo of 20-Jun (Link<http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/accountability-cross-community/attachments/20150619/1831ae72/ImplementationandImpactTestingQuestionsforCCWG-0001.pdf>).  At our request, Adam Peake went thru the memo and found many potential stress tests:

1. SO/AC Membership Model
Q1.  ST NTIA-3: Barriers to entry for new participants?
Q3.  ST NTIA-2: Address the potential risk of capture?
Q4.  Might build conflict of interest considerations into ST NTIA-2.  New test considering member powers (once known) and mitigate for.
Q5.  ST NTIA-1: Test preservation of the multistakeholder model if SO/AC opt out.
Q6.  See new test mentioned in Q4, consider ST NTIA-4: Unintended consequences.  Also Stickling's statement also says "How can the Working
Group on Accountability ensure that the creation of new organizations or tools will not interfere with the security and stability of the DNS during
and after the transition? Do new committees and structures create a different set of accountability questions?" which could be the basis of a
new stress test or stress tests: does the proposal interfere with security and stability of the DNS  test, and, a second test: does the proposal a
create a different set of accountability questions.
Q9.  Suggests need for a test on the affect of member rights/powers (first identifying what those are). See Q4 above.  If still relevant with the new
model being considered?
Q10. Q11, See Q9 and Q4.
Q12. ST NTIA-2 and also new tests suggested in Q9 and Q4.
Q14. ST NTIA-1
Q15. ST NTIA-1, consider adding concept of member dispute resolution to the test, and recommend to create such a mechanism if found relevant
Q19. Proposed test, what if GAC advice is accepted by the board and rejected by the community mechanism (test was mentioned some months ago)

2. Community Right to Cause Reconsideration of or Reject Board Approved Budgets and Strategic/Operating Plans
Q1. - Q5.  See Q6 section above re security and stability. Voting thresholds in the community mechanism (council) may provide the answer,
but if not new test.

3. Community Right to Reject Changes to "Standard" Bylaws and Approve Changes to "Fundamental" Bylaws
Q1.  See Q9 in section 1.  Suggestion for a new test.

5. Community Right to Remove Entire ICANN Board
Q1.  Existing test on reputational risk?

6. Independent Review Process Enhancements
Q1.  New test on: potential ramifications of assigning "due process rights?"