[ST-WP] Stress Test and Accountability

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Sat May 16 14:35:18 UTC 2015

Hi Avri,

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>
> Date: May 16, 2015 at 3:10:43 PM GMT+1
> To: "ccwg-accountability4 at icann.org" <ccwg-accountability4 at icann.org>
> Subject: [ST-WP] Stress Test and Accountability
> If we were to be
> challenged that some of our stress test go beyond anything that NTIA
> could have done anything about, do we have an answer?

Although the stress tests appear to be mandated by the NTIA I see no reason they need to be limited specifically to causes or actions directly related to current NTIA oversight. Indeed much of what we are doing in Accountability are things that need to and should be done regardless of whether the transition takes place. There seems to be general consensus that ICANN's current accountability regime is broken. I think the stress tests are an excellent way of ensuring that the new accountability mechanisms we're designing are effective and comprehensive. Although some stress tests are directly related to the transition some, as you point out, are not directly so or go beyond the NTIA's current de facto remit,  but in the context of our overall Accountability revamp I see no real problem there.

Best,

Ed