[Acct-Legal] Member/Designator model FAQs

List for the work of CCWG-Accountability Legal SubTeam ccwg-accountability5 at icann.org
Thu Apr 23 17:16:31 UTC 2015

Dear Counsel,

This is a formal assignment on the following questions:

What are the administrative formalities to create an unincorporated SO/AC ?

Who (legal persons or individuals) would have to fulfill these formalities ? Each member ? the Council ? The Chair ?

Are there any "Officers" or equivalent for such unincorporated SO/AC ?

Is there any requisite in terms of funding ?

Does participation of an organisation (such as a ccTLD manager) into such an unincorporated SO/AC extend the possibilities that it be sued in the US ?

Can an unincorporated SO/AC be sued ? In that case, who would have to pay the legal fees ?

Is there any fiduciary responsibility of liability attached to being a member of an unincoporated SO/AC ? to being a council member ? to being chair ?

Would the unincoroportation of the SO/AC (ex: ccNSO) prevent from further structural reviews of the SO/AC as foreseen by the Icann Bylaws ?

The aim of assigning these questions is to have a very brief and simple sort of one pager picture on the most relevant information related to these questions. We do not need a very lengthy document but rather a very concrete and comprehensible one pager.

This should be taken care with top priority right after delivering the two previous documents that were assigned with top priority. So this would get in the queue in front of all the remaining questions so far assigned as it is important for our discussions for Friday.

As usual I thank you for your support and apologize for the rush.

Best regards,

León