[Acct-Legal] Legal issues raised -- 23-24 March

Athina Fragkouli athina.fragkouli at ripe.net
Wed Mar 25 17:37:59 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Here is a list of the legal issues I noted being raised during our
two-day meeting:

- Are there any already existing mechanisms to remove the Board within a
non-profit cooperation structure and within the current structure of ICANN?

- What is the minimum Board size and composition required under
California law?

- Would Board members that served on spilled Board be ineligible?

- Is it allowed under California Law to dismiss the whole Board?

- What kind of liability does the organisation without a Board carry? -
What are the risks? Would a two-tier Board (acting as a "back up" board)
be a possible solution?

- Is it possible to have the Board removed without cause?

- How binding could decisions of the Independent Review Panel be?

- Is it possible for ICANN to use different jurisdictions in order to
govern different contract for its areas of work?

Additionally the following proposals have been endorsed:

- The lawyers should receive the WP 1 Mechanisms Comparison Table in
order to confirm our understanding of the mechanisms and as a guidance
for their analysis.

- The lawyers should review our mechanism templates.

- In cases where our accountability requirements cannot be implemented
due to limitations to the US California jurisdiction, this needs to be
highlighted in their legal analysis.

Please feel free to add any questions I missed.

Kind regards,
Athina Fragkouli