[Acct-Legal] Request for advice on Swiss law

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Mon May 11 23:00:38 UTC 2015

H everybody,

I'm opposed to sending this question to independent counsel unless someone
can explain to me why Switzerland is chosen as an alternate jurisdiction.

If there is no particular reason, then if we are to expend resources
exploring alternate jurisdictions I would request that resources also be
expended to explore the same question under the laws of  Delaware (a
traditional alternate US state for incorporation), Ireland (a favoured
European incorporation jurisdiction for private multinational corporations,
which ICANN is), Estonia (a favoured location for cyber companies whose
e-residence program may offer certain benefits for SOAC organisations and
ICANN itself) and Iceland (a country with highly developed corporate
transparency and shareholder participation laws).

I undestand the instinct to look at Switzerland as an alternate
jurisdiction. However, unless one is going to propose changing the nature
of ICANN (that of a private corporation) I see no reason to initially
assume that Swiss jurisdiction would be superior to that of any other
country.  I would prefer that we not go down that road at this time, but if
we are going to start looking at alternative jurisdictions I respectfully
request those jurisdictions previously named in this post also be examined
as I believe they may offer possibilities that are superior for our
purposes than Switzerland, a nation with highly developed corporate secrecy
laws. Of course, others may have additional jurisdictions they wish to
explore and I submit that once we start exploring any jurisdiction other
than the current one of California we are obliged to explore all those that
are suggested in good faith. There is no reason to give Switzerland
preference.

Respectfully,

Edward Morris