[Acct-Legal] Request for advice on Swiss law

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon May 11 23:32:04 UTC 2015

I agree with Edward that we should not pursue the alternative jurisdiction
question on a random basis.  I also agree that we need to be mindful of our
use of resources.

I also think that the question that we ended up posing to counsel ("whether
Swiss law would enable the SOs and ACs to act with all powers described in
our report WITHOUT the need to establish a legal entity") is completely
unrelated to the public comment, other than the reference to Switzerland.
In the public comment, Mr. Hill proposes that each SO/AC member (e.g., you
and I individually or our employers or governments) be a direct member of
ICANN.  That's going down a completely different path than the question we
posed to counsel.  I suggest we unpose the question before we start
expending resources.

If we want to test the accuracy of the statements in the public comment, we
should first decide what those statements are.  I actually think this
public comment is mostly a series of red herrings and logical fallacies.
It boils down in my estimation to:

1. The proposition of direct membership.
2. The proposition that members of Swiss associations have greater powers
("full powers") than those in California Public Benefit Corporations.
 (This is supported by citation to a web page that appears to contain all
of Swiss civil law, and a section cite that is only the beginning of a very
long section.  Googling the word "budget," the only reference is
irrelevant, so clearly direct authority for his statements about full
powers are not to be found on this page.)
3. The proposition that we want those greater powers, if any in fact exist.
4. The proposition that US incorporation could subject ICANN to something
horrible ("unilateral sanctions").
5. The proposition that Swiss incorporation, by contrast, would not.

2, 4 and 5 are legal questions.  If we want to answer them at all, I think
we need to answer number 3 before we look at number 2; if the answer is
"no," than we don't need to look at number 2.

Number 4 has a high FUD factor -- consider that OFAC waivers have never
been an issue for ICANN.  Number 5 may have some truth, in that Switzerland
seems like more of a laissez faire jurisdiction, but 4 and 5 both ask to
prove a future event, which is just silly.  As for the US, we have a track
record of non-interference (both direct and by the passage of laws), other
than that directly related to NTIA's stewardship.  I would submit this
"grass is greener" analysis is a waste of time, and certainly not part of
Work Stream 1.

To reiterate, it is my strong belief that there is almost certainly nothing
to ask counsel about here, and if there is, not now, and not before
discussion of the underlying issues.

Greg