[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Notes and action items from today's new gTLD Auction Proceeds CCWG meeting

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Thu Aug 24 19:26:14 UTC 2017

Dear Seun, please see my comments below, following your comment about the
reserve fund. Best, Erika

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 7:36 PM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello Marika,
>
> Thanks for sending this in and apologies for missing the call.  A few
> comments Inline:
>
> Sent from my mobile
> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>

> On Aug 24, 2017 4:41 PM, "Marika Konings" <marika.konings at icann.org>
> wrote:
>
> *Action item #2*: CCWG members & participants, especially those that were
> not on the call, to indicate on the mailing list if they have any
> objections to the following preliminary WG agreement: The CCWG's focus is
> on the funds that are currently available without any assumption that
> additional funds will become available. The CCWG will focus on developing
> recommendations that will enable the disbursement of the funds in an
> effective and judicious manner without creating a perpetual mechanism (i.e.
> not being focused on preservation of capital).
>

> SO: +1
>
> *5.           *,...).
>
>    - Park issue for now and await input from ICANN Org/Board and then
>    determine whether this has changed opinions and/or a new survey should be
>    conducted. This should happen at the latest by ICANN60.
>
> SO: Am not sure how we intend to determine this change in opinion, is it
> by the input from ICANN Org/Board?
>

> *Action item #3*: ICANN Org/Board to provide further information to the
> CCWG on current situation of reserve fund, plans for replenishment and how
> auction proceeds could potentially factor in to that plan to help inform
> the CCWG deliberations on this topic. If possible, this information is
> provided in time for the next CCWG meeting.
>

> SO: Personally I am not sure we should be discussing ICANN reserve in this
> manner. Our decision IMO should not be about trying to justify the need to
> fund the reserve based on its "current situation". It should rather be on
> the basis of whether the auction funds should be available for reserve and
> if yes how? (In terms of process and amount). We have noted significant
> response of a "No" to the first question which then seem to make the
> follow-up question unnecessary.

*EM = We had a very long discussion about this topic and it became clear
during this debate that some members are willing to consider to support the
reserve fund with a well defined amount/percentage under certain
conditions. To be able to consider such kind of approach, we need more
information from the Board/Org to be able to justify such a step. It's
absolutely clear that we can't take such a step lightly and that we will
need to debate this again once we have received more information. The
original responses, with a clear indication for a 'No' remain valid until
there is a strong support for a different approach. Let me assure you that
there is no hidden agenda and we're not looking for a way to justify to
replenish the reserve fund but we have missing pieces of important
information. I hope my explanation helps to ease your concerns. *