[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] [Ext] Re: Your input request - draft survey to gather input on charter question #2

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Thu Jun 1 13:55:20 UTC 2017

Thanks, Daniel. Is there a specific question you would like to see added to the survey?

Best regards,

Marika

On 6/1/17, 01:30, "Daniel Dardailler" <danield at w3.org> wrote:

    Hello all

    I think what's missing from this section on scope is the overall issue
    of all auction benefits going back to ICANN because
      - it has the funding
      - its mission legally defines its spending boundaries

    (I understand that the funding doesn't have to go back "to ICANN", but
    to fulfilling its mission, but why would ICANN run the risk of funding
    other organizations for doing their job ? At best, ICANN would have to
    do damage control, and at worse, it could be replaced by someone doing a
    better job for the same mission). So in the end, it's likely going to be
    only ICANN controlled/satellite projects)

    Originally, the auction benefits were supposed to help do good things
    for the Internet, not just good things for the DNS or IP ecosystem, but
    it looks more and more to me that this won't happen. Please tell me if I
    misunderstood or missed some important bits in this discussion.

    Out of curiosity, has ICANN developed a list of things/projects that are
    part of its mission but that it can't fund today, or doesn't want to
    fund ?