[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] open whatever, was Please participate - CCWG AP straw poll survey

John R Levine johnl at taugh.com
Sun May 6 15:39:52 UTC 2018

> For a lot of us this is very important John. We worked long and hard on
> a compromise. Throwing it out in the way you describe below feels both
> dismissive of an important issue and misses an opportunity to provide a
> little more moral suasion in this exercise.

I appreciate how much time people have put into this, but at this point it
is time to say it was an interesting exercise, it didn't pan out, and we
should use our limited time and attention on other things.  There's no
shame in an experiement that didn't turn out the way one hoped.

The situation seems quite different from the one at CIRA.  ICANN has
reminded us that the money has to be used to support ICANN's mission,
which is quite narrow.  I completely sympathize with the desire to improve
the world but if the improvements don't involve the root zone and root
servers, 2LD assignments, "the openness, interoperability, resilience,
security and/or stability of the DNS", or IP address allocation, we can't
do it here.

R's,
John