[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Revised review/assessment proposal

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Thu Aug 29 17:06:34 UTC 2019

Judith,

*/Mea culpa/.* I did fail to give At Large its well deserved and proper
due. It was an omission due to haste. /*Mea Culpa*/.

I should stress that the overall engagement of those representing the
Public Interest is impressive given the constraints they operate under.

Sam L.

On 8/29/2019 1:00 PM, Judith Hellerstein wrote:

> HI Sam,
>
> Sorry to wade in to this discussion which is not really on target but
> felt that I needed to correct some assumptions that Sam has made. Sam
> LanFranco, I respect your time and contributions, but in your
> description you left out At Large, we are representing the Public
> Interest which you have neglected to mention. Our volunteers (Members
> and Participants within CCWG-Auction Proceeds) spend countless hours
> working on these issues and get no reimbursement of compensation for
> our times spent, but if you look at the attendance and contribution
> measures we are always there at these meetings but the same could not
> be said for NCSG contingency. Our volunteers are deeply committed to
> these issues and many of them make time to come to these meetings,
> taking time out of their work day, waking up very early in the morning
> or staying up very late at night, so we beg to differ on your slight.
> We are not paid by our jobs for any of the countless hours we put in
> representing the public interest, but many of us do this because we
> are so passionate about it
>

> While many of us in At Large agree with your statement below, we still
> manage to find the time to show up and contribute.
>
> "This labor-intensive process gives favorable weight to the business
> sector, with its paid engagement, and less weight to ngo/civil society
> sector inputs that depends on volunteer labor. There is no clear or
> easy way to address this imbalance, one which ICANN org downplays to
> bolster its multistakeholder image. The differential resource bases
> and -at best- well meaning efforts as representation of public
> interest will continue to complicate engagement in the working group
> process."
>

> Best,
>
> Judith
>
> Speaking for myself

> Judith Hellerstein, Founder & CEO
> Hellerstein & Associates
> 3001 Veazey Terrace NW, Washington DC 20008
> Phone: (202) 362-5139  Skype ID: judithhellerstein
> Mobile/Whats app: +1202-333-6517
> E-mail:Judith at jhellerstein.com    Website:www.jhellerstein.com
> Linked In:www.linkedin.com/in/jhellerstein/
> Opening Telecom & Technology Opportunities Worldwide
>
> On 8/29/2019 12:42 PM, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
>>
>> I hope this is not an imposition. We have segued into a discussion of
>> participation and I would like to add a comment or two. The first is
>> that within its work multistakeholder ICANN starts with an endemic
>> imbalance. Those stakeholder groups with an economic self-interest in
>> issues are always there, and usually paid to be there. GAC, with its
>> political interests, operates under constraints that they are
>> partially uncomfortable with. GAC both partially adjusts and seeks
>> other forms of leverage, within ICANN’s remit, with efforts at
>> leverage from elsewhere. The participation of the ngo and civil
>> society sector suffers from the fact that it does not represent
> [...]

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honored in an
  unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus), Econ, York U., CANADA
email: sam at lanfranco.net   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  https://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852