[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] [Ext] Re: Proposed text: role of the community

Elliot Noss enoss at tucows.com
Thu Jul 25 12:16:06 UTC 2019

I would like to suggest a reworking and renaming of the constitution of the Advisory Board.

First the name. An “advisory board” suggests advice. This group is a decision-making board. It should be named appropriately. At ICANN, “Advisory Committee” = recommend to the board. This is not the nature of the task here.

I am not religious about the specific name, but the name should clearly connote its responsibilities. I will suggest “Grants Committee” and make lots of room for feedback.

Second, 2 persons per SO/AC for Advisory Board would mean to me:
2x GNSO
2x ccNSO
2x GAC
2x ALAC
2x SSAC
2x RSSAC
This seems egalitarian at the highest level but inappropriate to the task. I would like to suggest two alterations. First, there is no need for SSAC or RSSAC to be involved here. I respect both groups and think their work is important in relation to the core mission (some of my best friends are……). They are also appointed and, most importantly, are specific subject matter experts by design and that subject matter is not related to the task. Of course some projects will have a technical element but there are technical skills throughout the community sufficient to cover this AND many members of those two committees are also members of other parts of the community and will be able to scratch their philanthropic itch.

Next, I strongly feel that the GNSO should have 4-6 seats. The two most important reasons are that it is a GNSO program that has generated the excess funds and the GNSO has essentially grown into two separate groups that are more about balancing each other than they are one cohesive group as the rest of the groups are. Of course there are different positions in each group, but the GNSO uniquely has two VERY different personalities in the CPH and NCPH.

I suggest the following:
6x GNSO
2x ccNSO
2x GAC
2x ALAC
This is a good group size as well. 10-12 is the right dynamic for a group like this.

I would close here by noting a strong precedent for fitting the constitution of a community group to its context. During the original ICANN restructuring, we (Tucows) created the position that the ALAC should have a disproportionate representation on the nomcom. The original document is here (it is a fascinating historical read for ICANN history fans in any event and at the time was sometimes mistakenly linked to as the actual document produced by then-ICANN CEO Stuart Lynn):

http://www.byte.org/heathrow/heathrow-declaration-v0r0d5-032502.html <http://www.byte.org/heathrow/heathrow-declaration-v0r0d5-032502.html>

The context was that the nomcom was replacing the public vote and that ALAC was intended to best represent users interests. This was hotly debated at the time but we prevailed and this has remained an important and influential part of the ICANN structure.

The same concept of context applies here.

Thanks.

EN