[Ccwg-auctionproceeds] Judith Hellerstein's comments on the Auction Proceeds Draft

Samantha Eisner Samantha.Eisner at icann.org
Fri Jul 26 18:02:08 UTC 2019

As a point of clarification, the ICANN Board has already provided inputs that it expects the evaluation of applications and selection of the annual slate of grant recipients to be done by an independent panel.  As a result, the conclusion that “icann staff will be reviewing all grant applications and choosing the winners” is not an option that we understand to be under consideration for any of the mechanisms.  Under A, ICANN org would be responsible for contracting with an external, independent panel and would have to build in the appropriate mechanisms to maintain independence of that panel, similar to what has been done for other evaluation processes over the years.