[ChineseGP] [Japanesegp] 答?: Characters likely to cause offence

Sarmad Hussain sarmad.hussain at icann.org
Sun Oct 18 07:57:43 UTC 2015

Dear Hotta-san,

Thank you for the query.  Based on internal discussions, kindly find the
response below:

As per the "Procedure to Develop and Maintain the Label Generation Rules for
the Root Zone in Respect of IDNA Labels"
<http://www.icann.org/en/resources/idn/variant-tlds/draft-lgr-procedure-20ma
r13-en.pdf>, the decision of which Unicode code points to include from the
MSR in their respective proposals for the Root Zone LGR is up to the
Chinese, Japanese and Korean Generation Panels.  They may decide not to
include a character which “has visual similarity to a symbol that could be
abused by people outside CJK area”. However, when a code point that has
such potential issues is included in an LGR proposal, ICANN recommends that
the relevant Generation Panel(s) point this out in their proposal, as it is
released for public comment.  The relevant Generation Panel(s) will decide
whether to finally include such a code point based on the review of the
public comments received.

Regards,
Sarmad