[ChineseGP] 答复: [Koreangp] Proposed Action items before Seoul meeting

Joe Zhang joezhang43 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 03:28:21 UTC 2015

Dear Chris,

I will deeply study the ToDo list, and your comments, which may take some
more time.

Before finishing my homework, I would like to make two points for
consideration:

1.       Up to now, what we are working on is limited to character (and its
variants)- based label generation, we have not defined string/word based
rule yet. Especial, we have not define the language and/or context sensitive
string/word yet. It seems quite complicated, but is inevitable to work on it
in the next stage. For examples,

(1)     Exception treatment, such as ·¢-°l-°k and·¢/ óŒ

(2)     C-J sensitive : ±õ-žI-亣¬ÒÕ-ˇ-Ü¿£¬

(3)     ͬÒå´Ê Synonym as label£¨word based variant string£©: ”µÎ»»¯-Êý×Ö»¯
£¬¼¤¹â-ÀØÉ䣬±ãµ±-Û͵±

(4)     Rules like: No simplified/traditional/variant mixing in labels.
(important for CGP)

2.       Some visible differences amongst Hanzi/Hanja/Kanji would be
so-called Z-difference in Unicode/UniHan, say,

¡°I have also been looking for differences between  Traditional Chinese
characters and Korean hanja. So far I have found one: characters with the
progression radical tend to start with two dots in hanja: ÌÓ and only one in
Traditional Chinese: ÌÓ.¡±

 Actually, both are encoded at U+9003, but rendered in different fonts.

If  I may participate the coming Seoul meeting, we may discuss in detail.

Looking forward to seeing you there.

Regards,

Zhang

·¢¼þÈË: chinesegp-bounces at icann.org [mailto:chinesegp-bounces at icann.org] ´ú
±í Dillon, Chris
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä: 2015Äê4ÔÂ27ÈÕ 20:43
ÊÕ¼þÈË: hotta at jprs.co.jp; KoreanGP at icann.org; ChineseGP at icann.org;
JapaneseGP at icann.org
Ö÷Ìâ: Re: [ChineseGP] [Koreangp] Proposed Action items before Seoul meeting

Dear colleagues,

Here are some comments, as requested by Hiro.

I reckon I have now caught up after missing the Dallas meeting.

I believe Mr Yoneya¡¯s algorithm will work.

I have spent some amount of time looking for exceptions to various
statements in it e.g. Slide 5 ¡°there exists at least one identical
ideograph¡±. (No exception found.)

It is fortunate that ™C ¡¯machine¡¯ / »ú ¡¯desk¡¯ and °k ¡¯send¡¯ / óŠ
¡®hair¡¯ seem to be the only cases where (at least commonly used) different
characters in Japanese are the same character in Simplified Chinese. (I
haven¡¯t spent as much time with looking for characters that are separate in
Chinese but brought together in Japanese. ÛÍ replaces at least three
characters in Chinese, but I think none are common. I can imagine a . Û͵±
TLD, so that may be good news for bento companies.)

I note the options for the disposition of variants not defined in the LGR-1s
(Slide 6), i.e.:

- Blocked if the variant is not in the LGR-1 / Allocatable otherwise

- Blocked if the variant is not in the LGR-1 / Inherit its original
disposition in the LGR-1 (Allocatable/Simp/Trad/Both)

Both case studies are most interesting. I note that there are some labels,
e.g. ÓèÔ°  (with the first character, I think used only in Japan and the
second only in Simplified Chinese) that perhaps we would prefer not to see
allocatable in the ideal world, but suspect that blocking them would involve
adding horrendous complexity.

I note that it is difficult to understand Japanese LGR-1, as the characters
are not visible.

I have also been looking for differences between Traditional Chinese
characters and Korean hanja. So far I have found one: characters with the
progression radical tend to start with two dots in hanja: ÌÓ and only one in
Traditional Chinese: ÌÓ.

Looking forward to Seoul,

Regards,

Chris.

--

Research Associate in Linguistic Computing, Centre for Digital Humanities,
UCL, Gower St, London WC1E 6BT Tel +44 20 7679 1599 (int 31599)