[ChineseGP] [Integrationpanel] FW: Examples of complicated domainname

Asmus Freytag asmusf at ix.netcom.com
Fri May 15 22:18:32 UTC 2015

Dear Yoneya-san,

I appreciate these examples and I was able to verify that they do lead
to the same domains.

It would appear that there is a practice by some Japanese applicants to
treat certain combinations of old and new Kanji as variants. And I think
you have made your case that the selection of which variants to treat
that way depends on the applicant (and presumably the meaning of the
label) and therefore is not easily captured by a mechanical rule.

I would appreciate if the JGP could include this analysis (and examples)
in their LGR proposal as part of the rationale for their choice of
assigning variant types. I expect it will influence the review by the
Integration panel.

Now, separately, there was the question raised "what about variants
introduced by integration that are not 'semantic' variants in
Japanese?". Are there cases of delegated labels where the variants are
from that subset? It would appear that unlike the old vs. new Kanji
variants they must be really rare (or non-existant), because they would
be unrelated in Japanese. So it would be meaningless for an applicant to
have a) registered both and b) directed them to the same domain.

A./