[ChineseGP] CGP update

Declan Ma madi at knet.cn
Mon Jan 11 10:55:25 UTC 2016

Hi, everyone.

Happy New Year.

I am writing to you to share with the progress of CGP work and what we should do in the days to come.

Right before the ICANN Dublin meeting, Wei Wang shared with an LGR document on behalf of CGP, as indicated in the email forwarded. This LGR was then presented to IP for review. And We just had got the feedback from IP with four questions to be answered:

1) The IP would like to know the rationale for adding the 22 IICORE characters that are not used in existing IDN tables (see Section 4.22). We note that over half of them are included in IICORE for support of Korean.

2) The IP would like to learn the reasoning by the CGP with regards to deciding which code points from the JO set to include. We were unable to identify a pattern to distinguish the 94 that were selected from the 50 that were excluded. For example, we can see that a few of these 50 have glyph shapes are distinctively ‘Japanese’ but on the other hand, many are shared with other IRG sources.

3) The IP wonders whether it is wise not to include the 7 characters that were deemed useful by DotAsia for Singapore and other Chinese constituencies (listed explicitly in Section 4.1).

4) The IP would like to see a more detailed analysis of the 62 characters IICORE encoded in the block: CJK UNIFIED IDEOGRAPHS EXTENSION B and which are not included in the CLGR draft. These are all HKSCS characters and are specific to Cantonese. The main reason that they are encoded in Extension B (instead of the main block or Extension A) is because they were processed later by the IRG. The IP feels that any rationale for excluding them (whether or not this is because of their encoding in a Supplementary Plane), would need to be specifically documented by the Chinese Generation Panel.

I believe Wei Wang and I are able to handle the first two out of the four. However, a member from .Asia is kindly needed to correspond to the third one. As for the last one, a CGP member from HKIRC or Professor Lu Qin is yet the right person to give answer to.

We will begin to move forward by answering questions from IP.

More details of feedback from IP is attached as ’CGP-LGR-Report_2015-12-17’.

Di