[council] Ad promotion of Call for Papers on new gTLDs

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 10 19:28:32 UTC 2006

I don't think we ever agreed that someone would read a paper, similar to an
academic conference. We were clear that we would provide opportunities for
summary presentations/discussions of contributions on some basis. But I
would expect us to get some contributions that aren't suitable for the two
two hour forums, but still valid and useful contributions to be read. For
instance, if we got a doctoral thesis as a contribution -- DON'T Laugh,
could happen--that is not a suitable presentation format for the conference
calls we are planning. We asked for respondents to address the questions in
the ToR, so hopefully, that will be the majority of contributions.

And, just to comment on your question, Cary -- in the ITU, and other
intergovernmental for a, and in many industry forums, we often request the
contribution of papers on a topic. Next Generation Networks comes to mind,
for one. Wireless, for another. The online privacy and spam conferences I've
helped to organize in the past often requested positions or papers ahead of
time...

However, I think we committed to real time transcription of the discussions,
not merely an audio record. I assume that means that we'll have both MP3,
and the transcription, which is very useful for non native English speakers.

Regards,

Marilyn