[council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

Ross Rader ross at tucows.com
Fri Aug 31 11:47:10 UTC 2007

Mike Rodenbaugh wrote:
> What is the harm in undertaking such a study now, before voting to move
> forward with radical policy changes (OPoC, or Ross' proposal) that have
> only been outlined, and are far from implementable proposals?
>
> What would be the harm of waiting for the results of such a study,
> before deciding on a path to completion of work on this issue?

The requirements of the PDP are very clear. I think its time we get back
to relying on the processes defined in the process. After constituencies
have weighed in on a policy proposal, such as the one that staff is
pulling together from the mess that was put forward by the WG and the TF
report, the Council is required to determine whether or not the proposal
merits a policy recommendation to the board.

If you believe that the policy proposal does not merit a recommendation
to the board, then I would presume that you would vote against it and
then recommend that the Council study the issue further in an attempt to
better understand the issue. At the same time, my constituency will do
the same, and likely recommend that Council proceed along the lines I've
laid out in my motion.

I believe this is what Avri has outlined for us. What is the harm in
following our bylaws and the work plan laid out by our chair?

--
Regards,

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services