[council] Proposed amendment to BCUC motion

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Fri Aug 31 13:18:41 UTC 2007

Hi,

My issue on your original motion is that  by including:

> The GNSO Council does not consider the WG report as an adequate
> basis for any implementation of OPOC.

it is asking the councilors to make a determination on this work without
having gone back to the constituencies.  One of the problems people have
brought up with the WG is that given it was a group of individuals,
it is
impossible to know where the GSNO constituencies stand on the
recommendations
made by the WG.  That is the main reason I believe we should be
asking the
constituencies to update their impact statements in the light of this
additional content.

I think it would have been a different motion if it had just asked
the staff
to begin looking into the work required to study the queestions so
that they
could come back to the council with a recommendation on how to
proceed. It is
also different then a proposal to have the studies begin and run in
parrallel
with other whois activities.  Personally I think that the information
from
these studies may be useful to the Board in making its decsion, but I
would be
surprised if they changed the policy positions in the council.  And I
certainly
believe the studies would be helpful in terms of implementation.

As far as voting, that is one of the reasons I have requested that
the motions
be included in the Draft final report that is reviewed by the
constituencies and
the community.  It is my current expectation that there are at least
3 possible
motions:

- One that you might write up saying something like the information
that the WG
provided is insufficient for the implementation of an OPOC and that
we recommend
that the work continue within the council until the information from
the studies
can be factored in.  Perhaps, should you defer your motion, you will
use the
text already submitted.

- One I will write up that basically states: The council supports the
OPOC
recommendation as contained in the TF report and instructs the staff
to consult
the work of the WG and the follow-on discussion, including comments
supplied by
the constituencies during the review and by the community, in
creating its
implementation. It will further request that the staff consult with
the council
once it has developed a draft implementation plan should both the
council and the
board support the OPOC recommendation. (still needs wordsmithing)

- One that I expect Ross will write up saying something like: there
is no consensus
and that in the absence of consensus the staff should remove the
contractual condition
requiring whois service.  Perhaps he will use the text he already
submitted.

- and any other option someone wants to write up as a motion.

This way the constituencies can not only include their comments on
the recommendations
but can give explicit directions, should they wish to do so, on how
their representatives
are to vote.

Though as I told Ross, since you made the motion and I believe have
had it seconded by
Kristina, I will put it to a vote at our next if that is what you
want to do.

thanks
a.