[Ctn-crosscom] post-Helsinki strawman paper: next call scheduled for Monday 29 August, 21 UTC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Sat Aug 27 16:46:00 UTC 2016

Dear Timo,

I can resonate with your idea and concern; which I try to summarize:

*        .est operated by the .ee ccTLD operator should work identical to .ee! All the same rules and procedures and transaction commands.

*        You do not want to pay transaction fees to ICANN: For what? You don´t pay them for .ee, why for .est?

*        The data projection policy of the EU is SIGNIFICANT more restrict than those of the U.S.: You don’t want the gTLD ICANN WHOIS requirements

*        Much of the other policy framework like “reserved names” should be identical to the existing one of .ee – not some policy developed by other nations / stakeholders.

I get all that – and most in this group get it, too.

BUT!

I was at the Helsinki meeting, and spoke to a multitude of GAC members: Some of them are STEADFAST objecting the notion of the introduction of three letter ccTLDs. And I am running around and talk to GAC reps since 2005 (first to lobby for .berlin – which initially was seen as a “danger”; then to lobby for .gay: which a few nations found even more dangerous) and you can be rest assured: If a few powerful and vigilant GAC reps have put smth into their minds: You won’t get it out; especially not without showing up in person.

ICANN is sadly not about creating the BEST and MOST SENSEFUL solutions: It is about give and take and arrive at SOME solution.

There is currently a BAN of ISO 3166 Alpha 3 codes (and territory names) a TLD’s in the AGB. The gNSO works off the 2012 AGB. If the ban is not lifted – it just stays in there. If it stays in there you won’t get .est.  The ban has been introduced by the GAC. The GAC works not with majorities but rather only adopts policy only if NO ONE OBJECTS.  Right now a number of countries DO object the notion of three letter ccTLD’s. If we (the CW Group and or the gNSO) suggest to create these three letter cTLDs: All what happens is that the GAC doesn’t agree and the ban will stay.

The maximum the ccTLD operators can achieve would be an added letter of non-objection by the ccTD manager: So at least you can be rest assured that your Information Technology Ministry (or ministry for commerce, interior) won’t give away your three letter code against your will. You are in full control. All fine.

Alexander