[Ctn-crosscom] post-Helsinki strawman paper: next call scheduled for Monday 29 August, 21 UTC

Timo Võhmar timo.vohmar at internet.ee
Fri Aug 26 21:39:58 UTC 2016

Thank you Carlos for your kind and calming words!

I still feel that taking this issue to GNSO is bad idea from the
governmental and ccTLD perspective. I do understand Alexander's and Susan's
standpoints and respect their opinions, but I disagree.

I do not feel that my and Estonia's dream of .est as ccTLD is impossible -
yet. Having also spoken with some government advisers and seeing that some
actually understand that for registrants and internet users there is no
difference between ccTLD and gTLD, the only thing that matters to them is
what the tld stands for in their mind. The difference between ccTLD, gTLD,
new gTLD, geoTLD is the delegation process and who is in control in the
end. This is important only to us - TLD operators, ICANN, governments in
the case at hand and businesses trying to protect their brand or make
money. I am sure there are GAC members that believe that ccTLD stands for
two letter TLD. And I know there are those that feel differently. There is
and will be no chaos - lets not talk nonsense.

I do feel a bit alone and outnumbered here - thank you Rosalia for speaking
up. I believe that GNSO PDP group is biased. We should discuss what was
lacking in this CWG and try to fix that with new CWG interation. So if GNSO
PDP suggestion is pushed in the report, I ask that alternative solution
with balanced cross-community working group is also suggested.

Best Regards,
Timo Võhmar
Head of development
Estonian Internet Foundation