[Ctn-crosscom] Mp3, AC Chat & Attendance for Cross-Community Working Group on Use of Country/Territory Names as TLDs

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Mon Oct 17 23:33:26 UTC 2016

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Cross-Community Working Group on Use of Country/Territory Names as TLDs meeting held on Monday, 17 October 2016 at 21:00 UTC at:  http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ctn-17oct16-en.mp3
 <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-cwg-ctn-13jun16-en.mp3>

On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar#oct

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/

Attendees:

ccNSO:
Annebeth Lange, .no
Grigori Saghyan, .am
Sebastien Pensis, .eu
Timo Vohmar, .ee

GNSO

Carlos Raul Guttierez, NPOC  (co-Chair)

Griffin Barnett, IPC

Heather Forrest, IPC (co-Chair)
Maxim Alzoba, NTAG
Robin Gross, NCSG

Susan Payne, NTAG
Alexander Schubert, RySG

GAC
Milagros Castanon Seoane, Peru
Nigel Cassimire, CTU

ALAC
Cheryl Langdon-Orr, ALAC CCWG Liaison

Additional Members:
Jaap Akkerhuis, ISO 3166 Expert

Apologies:

ICANN Staff:
Bart Boswinkel
Emily Barabas
Steve Chan
Joke Braeken
Michelle DeSmyter
Maria Otanes

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/_g_4Aw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

                                                ****************

Adobe Connect chat transcript for Monday 17 October 2016

Michelle DeSmyter:Dear all, welcome to the CWG on Country and Territory Names as TLDs meeting on Monday, 17 October 2016 at 21:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_-5Fg-5F4Aw&d=DQIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Ju5bN7qcsAseFnzCMC7_bB4QRZTWTlNA8q0MUzq_KYQ&s=sXrdWqDpemRk_SGGfrh6EtSKYdIvwK3ODVLIgtygXXs&e=
  mcastanon:HIIIIII
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hi there - welcome Milagros!
  Grigori Saghyan:Hi!
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hello Grigori!
  Alexander Schubert:Hi.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi all
  Heather Forrest:Good morning, everyone
  Bart Boswinkel:Hi all
  Annebeth Lange:Hi everyone
  Joke Braeken:Hi All
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:hello!
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:woops
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:no audio here
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:please call me
  Annebeth Lange:I lost the audio too
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:ahhhh
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:ok
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:is not only me . Thanks Annebeth
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Pretty unstable the adobe rooms of late
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:the few last ones I had to dial 3 times in 1 hour.....
  Nigel Cassimire:Hello from Trinidad and Tobago, everyone.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Hi
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:I lost audio
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:please confirm
  Heather Forrest:Carlos - I heard you a few moments ago
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:or call me at +506 8837 7176
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:yes
  Michelle DeSmyter:absolutely
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:I da a few seconds of audio
  Michelle DeSmyter:one moment
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:but it has been like this over the last few days
  Annebeth Lange:I am no on phone
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All, I finally managed to connect
  Bart Boswinkel:The document is scrollabel and please go to page 5
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:ok
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:I´m on the phone now
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):ask for feedback  on bracketted  text  ... YES
  Annebeth Lange:If possible, we should try to complete on the progress report, if we can agree on which of the alternatives of recommendation 2 we prefer
  Annebeth Lange:Since we have, in my opinion, agreed on 1 and 3 as they are now
  Annebeth Lange:In my view, Alternative B is more of a compromise than Alternative C, and also visualize the problems of overlapping
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):My leanings are towards  2b.  noting the nexus between the inteests of the GNSO  and the ccNSO  in the matter of new names and Use of  CT Names
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):also  inclusive of IDN's of course
  mcastanon:Is there any chance I could get this document through my email?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):And of course the Subsequent Procedureswork is aready advancing including geo (CT) names
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and IDN's ;-)
  Annebeth Lange:But Carlos, the overlapping between ccNSO and gNSO on these issues, ccNSO should be included through the process. I still think Alternative B best cover this.
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:My pesonal postion is that we should try to avoid to end up in a small sentences in the GAC Communique, because in my view we would automatically loos control of our process. Sorry for using arguments beyond our work. But this is my feeling right now.
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:loose control
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:sorry
  Timo Võhmar:my support goes to B - it is unclear where the future work will go, A will not change that
  susan payne:sorry, mic not working
  Alexander Schubert:I support B as well!
  susan payne:i will need to dial in
  Annebeth Lange:Difficult to hear Nigel
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Perhaps a little poll  with green ticks or red crosses  for each alternative  from the attendees here will assist the to bracket or settle on one issue
  susan payne:really I was just going to say I prefer a.  I find b difficult to understand, and particularly what the outcome of the recommendation would be, ie what are we actually saying should happen.  I think we are leaving it vague but that leaves things in limbo
  Heather Forrest:Thanks Susan
  Annebeth Lange:I understand you view here, Susan, but I am afraid that this issue, that is of great interest to many stakeholdergroups outside gNSO, will "drown" in the immense amount of issues that will be treated in the gNSO PDP for subsequent rounds
  Michelle DeSmyter:it should be any moment - they are dialing you now
  Michelle DeSmyter:for Susan Payne
  Annebeth Lange:I think that if we don't agree through a poll, both should be in brackets and discussed in Hyderabad as well.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):That works for me re the poll options  Heather
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):better than just polling attendees  here
  Steve Chan:I was going to make a quick comment, but I can type it here: the polling can be done easily through something like Doodle, so it shouldn't be a problem to put something together very quickly.
  Heather Forrest:Thanks Steve - I was thinking Doodle too
  susan payne:Carlos - I totally agree, and this is one of my concern about b as I think it implies there could be two spaces
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):GAC & us ... as usual
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Do we have to have a formal approval of our SO ?
  Bart Boswinkel:@susan, tha tis the reality of dealing ith this topic, ther is already aovelap in defintions in exisiting policies
  Annebeth Lange:One of the problems - we started in our WG to discuss only c & t names originated from ISO 3166. GACs discussion of all other geographicl names complicated the process. THere are different considerations behind those two "groups".
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):if we need opinion of SO/SC - might be need for a formal letter
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Short and clear
  Nigel Cassimire:That sounds like the idea
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):echo
  Heather Forrest:Draft text: Future work on this issue must clearly align and engage with ICANN policy development processes as per ICANN's bylaws
  Alexander Schubert:Work Stream 2 handles this issue!
  Alexander Schubert:And they almost started to work on it last week!
  Alexander Schubert:The GNSO will handle our group this way: "Provide input if you have - we will factor it in" - and if we provide input then fine - if not nobody will care at all.
  Alexander Schubert:Work Track 2, right.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):What Susan says  is importnt  BUT  IT WOULD NEED SHEEPHEARDING
  Heather Forrest:I think we could have a much longer discussion about the Subsequent Procedures PDP,  but I think we want to avoid getting too bogged down in discussing the PDP. We're running out of time to HYD, so my inclination is to focus on these documents
  Annebeth Lange:Good to hear, Carlos
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:CLO allways get the last word.......
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez::)
  susan payne:@Cheryl, I suppose that is why I would favour trying to get this topic dealt with as a sub work track so there isn't a risk of being told the input is too late
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Yes  and I understand  that attitude Susan especially when SO much goes on in these topics beynd our interest and remit
  Annebeth Lange:I support that, Heather
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes agree
  susan payne:agree
  Nigel Cassimire:+1
  Steve Chan:The New gTLD Program Reviews session Heather is discussing now is here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__icann572016.sched.org_event_8dQV_new-2Dgtld-2Dprogram-2Dreviews&d=DQIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Ju5bN7qcsAseFnzCMC7_bB4QRZTWTlNA8q0MUzq_KYQ&s=KrQ9zrSEmMVKFkgsovc85tHsnYjFlJ_ih810aeiCiwI&e=
  Annebeth Lange:Do you know when that session will be, Heather?
  Steve Chan:November 5: 13:45 - 14:45
  Steve Chan::)
  Bart Boswinkel:4. Will the "CWG on Country/Territory Names as Top Level Domains" provide policy recommendations to GNSO and GAC by the Hyderabad meeting on the following topics:a) ISO 3166 Alpha 3 code elements (NOT Alpha 2 codes - as these are NOT up for discussion in the next round PDP at the moment)b) Country and Territory names (and their short forms) as new gTLDs.           If not:a) By when latest can such policy recommendation be expected? Month/Yearb) What is the likelihood that the WG will provide tangible PDP (policy recommendations) input for the coming round? Reason for the questions: Both GAC and GNSO have been repeatedly told to NOT touch the subject to avoid "duplication of work" as the "CWG on Country/Territory Names as Top Level Domains" was allegedly working on policy recommendations. At some point of time GAC and GNSO will have to stop waiting and start to discuss this subject. Of course the CWG's output could be factored in later - but it would be good to know whether a policy recommendation is to be exp
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID) 2:it feels like "contaminated" better describes 3letter codes situation :)
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:Very important indeed!!!!!!
  Carlos Raul Gutierrez:They shold go together
  Annebeth Lange:Agreed
  Alexander Schubert:Bye!
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID) 2:bye all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Thx  Bye