[Ctn-crosscom] [Ext] Re: Interim Paper for public comment

Annebeth Lange annebeth.lange at uninett.no
Thu Jan 26 08:25:31 UTC 2017

Hi Alexander and all,

I agree with your input, Alexander.

Kind regards
Annebeth Lange

From: <ctn-crosscom-bounces at icann.org<mailto:ctn-crosscom-bounces at icann.org>> on behalf of Alexander Schubert
Date: Wednesday 25 January 2017 at 23:32
To: "ctn-crosscom at icann.org<mailto:ctn-crosscom at icann.org>"
Subject: Re: [Ctn-crosscom] [Ext] Re: Interim Paper for public comment

Hi,

Page 21 the three preferences how alpha-3 codes could be handled:

1) support for opening all ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 codes to eligiblity as gTLDs  (eligibility is misspelled - and the sentence makes no sense! Probably meant as: "...... to be eligible as gTLDs"?)

I do not see any more the option that has already garnered a LOT of support: Treating the 3 letter ISO 3166 alpha 3 codes like ALL other designators in the ISO 3166 (e.g. “BAR” or “TATA”): In the existing AG for ALL 3166 listed elements there is a requirement that the relevant Government authority has to sign a letter of non-objection!

So I suggest we either add to 1) that OF COURSE the already established AG requirement for a letter of non-objection would be triggered for alpha-3 codes as well!

Or we have a 4th preference.
Indeed: Annex D provides for FOUR possibilities discussed by the SOs/ACs.

On page 22 it says:

“Supporting to open all 3-character codes as gTLDs:
•             There is no sovereign or other ownership right of governments in country or territory names, including ISO 3166-1 codes, so there is no legal basis for government veto power on allocation of these codes as gTLDs”

Not true! The AG has a provision whereby ALL ISO 3166 elements need a letter of non-objection of the Government! See “.bar” or “.tata”! Obviously if already a tiny mini municipality like the TATA region (15,000 people, all desert, no industry, but listed in ISO 3166) requires such a letter then OF COURSE a 3 letter ISO 3166 alpha 3 code requires it as well!

Thanks,

Alexander Schubert