[Ctn-crosscom] [Ext] Re: Interim Paper for public comment

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Jan 25 22:32:42 UTC 2017

Hi,

Page 21 the three preferences how alpha-3 codes could be handled:

1) support for opening all ISO 3166-1 alpha-3 codes to eligiblity as gTLDs
(eligibility is misspelled - and the sentence makes no sense! Probably meant
as: "...... to be eligible as gTLDs"?)

I do not see any more the option that has already garnered a LOT of support:
Treating the 3 letter ISO 3166 alpha 3 codes like ALL other designators in
the ISO 3166 (e.g. "BAR" or "TATA"): In the existing AG for ALL 3166 listed
elements there is a requirement that the relevant Government authority has
to sign a letter of non-objection!

So I suggest we either add to 1) that OF COURSE the already established AG
requirement for a letter of non-objection would be triggered for alpha-3
codes as well!

Or we have a 4th preference.
Indeed: Annex D provides for FOUR possibilities discussed by the SOs/ACs.

On page 22 it says:

"Supporting to open all 3-character codes as gTLDs:
.             There is no sovereign or other ownership right of governments
in country or territory names, including ISO 3166-1 codes, so there is no
legal basis for government veto power on allocation of these codes as gTLDs"

Not true! The AG has a provision whereby ALL ISO 3166 elements need a letter
of non-objection of the Government! See ".bar" or ".tata"! Obviously if
already a tiny mini municipality like the TATA region (15,000 people, all
desert, no industry, but listed in ISO 3166) requires such a letter then OF
COURSE a 3 letter ISO 3166 alpha 3 code requires it as well!

Thanks,

Alexander Schubert