[Ctn-crosscom] notes: CWG-UCTN - 6 June 2017, 5 UTC

Joke Braeken joke.braeken at icann.org
Tue Jun 6 06:46:19 UTC 2017

Dear all,

Please find below the informal notes taken during the CWG-UCTN call on 6 June 2017, 5 UTC.

Best regards,

Joke Braeken

1.       Welcome and roll call

This call is meant to re-group the final comments. No further additions/subtractions to be made by co-chair Heather

2.       Second reading draft final paper

comment received from Jaap Akkerhuis: section on page 9 - regarding description of ISO-bodies involved in iso-3166.

Bart Boswinkel will run through changes made on the interim report:
1. public comments were not conclusive regarding the recommendations
2. page 33. What has been done with the public comments is being described here. Reflect the (non)-support of the recommendations 1,2,4 and the divergence on recommendation 3
3. new annex was added

Susan Payne sent some further comments. 2 minor ones:
1) editorial. reference to the public comments and the alternatives A, B, C: suggestion to move them to a different paragraph
2) section 1.5, page 20. replace the word "outcome": it is rather a succession of different perspectives; no conclusions have been reached.

Background provided by Bart: old language, with respect to the 2-letter codes.

Heather: similar concerns to Susan's comments.  There are certainly concerns within the GNSO community that conclusions were reached on 2-letter codes, in the understanding that we would be progressing on 3-letter codes and further.
The question is: do we specify that preliminary conclusions on 2 letter codes were preliminary conclusions reached at that point, i.e., prior to discussing 3-codes? Likewise, Susan's language is helpful in clarifying that our overall outcome was not actual agreement on conclusions.

3.       Next steps

Ask the group one more time for final comments.

Final Paper to be sent to the chartering organisations for their support.  Once approved/supported/objected by the chartering organisations (ccNSO and GNSO), it goes back to the CWG-UCTN co-chairs.
If the chartering organisations object, the WG needs to revisit the objection and the rationale. (to be included in a supplemental final paper)
The final paper and the supplemental final paper, will be included in the Final Report.

Action item for the group’s co-chairs is to draft a cover letter, for the submission to the chartering organisations, preferably next week.
Heather will add it to the GNSO Council agenda for Johannesburg, and Katrina/Annebeth will add it to the ccNSO Council agenda for ICANN59.

4.       AOB

Is there a next meeting needed in 2 weeks’ time?
Depending on the second reading of Susan's comments.

We will not re-send the whole document, but just the extract of Susan's comments to the group.

5.       Closure

thank you.

Joke Braeken
ccNSO Policy Advisor