[client com] Instructions to Sidley

Flanagan, Sharon sflanagan at sidley.com
Wed Jun 3 21:10:55 UTC 2015

Hi All,

With respect to A. below, we can provide language for consideration.  You may recall that in our Legal Structure Memorandum we had included language on this concept, as well as a specific list of the CCWG dependencies.  We could use this language as a starting point with further emphasis on the conditionality of the CWG proposal on these items (i.e., that if these items are not adopted, the proposal is no longer valid as it stands and would need to be modified).  This would then address both A. and B. of Jonathan’s note below since this list will cover the fundamental bylaws.

As for C, we are reviewing the proposal today and will circulate our mark-up in advance of the Thursday CWG call.

From the Legal Structure Memorandum (updates would be need to be made, including on the Separation Process which is now known)

CWG’s proposed legal structure and overall proposal is highly dependent and expressly conditioned upon the implementation by the CCWG of appropriate accountability mechanisms to support the model.  Specifically, the proposed legal structure and CWG’s overall proposal requires ICANN accountability in the following respects:

1.                  ICANN Budget.   Ability for the community to approve or veto the ICANN budget.  In addition, the following would be requirements relating to the budget:

(a)                           IANA Function’s comprehensive costs should be transparent; and

(b)                           Operating plans and budgets to include itemization of all IANA operations costs to the project level and below as needed. Prefer beginning in FY `16, required beginning in FY '17.  An itemization of IANA cost includes “Direct Costs for the IANA department”, “Direct Costs for Shared resources” and “Support functions allocation”.  Furthermore the aim is to have these cost itemized into more specific costs related to each specific function.

2.                  Community Empowerment Mechanisms.  The  multistakeholder community would be empowered to have certain rights with respect to ICANN Board and the IANA functions, which are more specifically addressed below.

(a)                           Ability to appoint and remove members of the ICANN Board, either as statutory members or designators, and to recall the entire Board;

(b)                           Ability to exercise oversight with respect to key ICANN Board decisions.  In a statutory membership structure, this would be the ability to approve or veto certain key ICANN Board decisions.  In a designator structure, this may be the ability to request a reconsideration by the ICANN Board, with the ultimate enforcement mechanism being an IRP process and/or the potential for a Board recall.  For the purposes of the CWG recommendation, the stakeholder community or member group must, at a minimum, have the ability to review and approve:

                                                                          i.                  ICANN Board decisions to reject recommendations coming out of a periodic or special review of the IANA function by the IFR or a Separation Review; and

                                                                        ii.                  ICANN budget (see #1 above); and

(c)                            Ability to approve amendments to fundamental bylaws (whether as statutory members or designators of ICANN), with the ICANN Board specifically blocked from amending such fundamental bylaws.

3.                  IANA Function Review (IFR).  An IFR should be created and empowered to conduct periodic and special reviews of the IANA functions.  The IFR should be contemplated by the ICANN bylaws.

4.                  Customer Standing Committee (CSC).   A CSC should be created and empowered to monitor the performance of the IANA functions and escalate non-remediated issues to the ccNSO and GNSO.  The CSC should be contemplated by the ICANN bylaws.  If not currently within the mandate, the ccNSO and/or GNSO should be empowered to address matters escalated by the CSC.  This should be contemplated by the ICANN bylaws.

5.                  [Separation Review.]

6.                  Appeal mechanism.   An appeal mechanism, for example in the form of an Independent Review Panel, will be required for issues relating to the IANA functions.  For example, direct customers with non-remediated issues or matters referred by ccNSO or GNSO after escalation by the CSC would have access to an Independent Review Panel.

7.                  Fundamental bylaws.  All of the foregoing mechanisms are to be provided for in the ICANN bylaws as “fundamental bylaws” with a higher than majority vote by the community (whether as statutory members or designators of ICANN) to amend, and a prohibition on ICANN Board amendment of these bylaws.

SHARON FLANAGAN
Partner

Sidley Austin LLP
+1.415.772.1271