[CWG-DT-Stewardship] Latest Version of Charter and Notes from Meeting

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Mon Aug 4 14:04:30 UTC 2014

Dear All,

As per Jonathan's email, please find attached a clean and redline version in
which we've incorporated the different sections discussed on the mailing
list (please let us know if we've missed anything). Also included are some
suggested edits to address the comments in relation to the definition of
participants / observers / members. Furthermore, I've updated the definition
of divergence in section IV which inadvertently seemed to have the
definition of consensus.

To facilitate the mailing list conversation ahead of the next meeting, we
would like to propose that, similar to last week, volunteers come forward to
propose specific language to address some of the remaining comments / issues
and share their proposals with the mailing list. Looking through the latest
version, we've identified the following issues:
1. Should additional language be included to encourage / allow for
participation of new stakeholders? (comments #1, 5, 6R5)
2. Should further guidance be included on how the ICG is expected to liaise
with the CWG? (comment #3)
3. Should a target deadline be included in the charter for the deliverables
in the charter or should this be left up to the CWG to determine? (comment
#4)
4. In relation to the sentence "Understand the views and concerns of other
participants in the chartering organisation that appoints them" in section
III, several comments have been made (#7 ­ 12). How should this sentence be
updated to address the comments made?
5. Definition of consensus ­ it was suggested (comment #14) that a
definition of minority should be included or alternatively use the
definition 'a position that is supported by at least a supermajority of
members'. Is there support for this change or are there other suggestions?
6. Assessing consensus and use of vote/poll (comments #15, 16 and 17) ­ if
the DT would like to make reference to the possibility of using polls, you
may want to consider including language similar to what is currently in the
GNSO WG Guidelines, for example: In a rare case, the chair(s) may decide
that the use of a poll is reasonable to assess the level of support for a
recommendation. However, care should be taking in using polls that they do
not become votes as there are often disagreements about the meanings of the
poll questions or of the poll results. Would there be support for including
a reference to the use of polls, and if so, would the proposed language work
or are there other suggestions?
7. Who/how is the final report and possible additional documents (following
adoption) submitted to the ICG ­ should further clarification be added
(comment #20, 21)
8. Closure of the WG ­ what additional language should be added to address
comments #22 and 23?

If there are any additional issues that need to be addressed, please share
those with the mailing list. Also, if you would like to volunteer to address
one or more of these issues, please let the mailing list know. Based on the
feedback / suggestions provided, staff can try to hold the pen and
incorporate any language that has the support of the DT in the next
iteration of the draft which will hopefully will get us close to a final
version by our next meeting which has been scheduled for next Monday 11
August.

Thanks,

Marika