[DT-F] REVISED: Design Team F kickoff

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Apr 6 22:44:26 UTC 2015

It has correctly been pointed out that my first sentence sentence
made little sense!  I will try again.

Although the template for DT-F (Relationship between the NTIA, IANA
and the Root Zone Maintainer) has not officially been approved, I see
no reason not to start the work, all the more so since the target
completion date is just 4 days away. We are likely to miss that
deadline, but I would like to keep the slippage as small as possible.

The draft template is attached. The DT members are:

Jaap Akkerhuis
Gary Campbell
Jordan Carter

David Conrad

Alan Greenberg
Milton Mueller
Rudi Vansnick

Bernie Turcotte and Grace Abuhamad will be providing staff support.

David is arguably the person with the deepest knowledge of the
subject, and can hopefully provide some insight into the issues.

As I see it, we have two parts to our task. The first is to identify
the salient issues in a post transition IANA with relation to the
Root Zone Maintainer (RZM), and then to propose an architecture for
publication of the Root Zone.

As a first step, I would suggest that we identify any:
- principles we wish to adhere to (such as transparency, auditability);
- problems (or potential problems) with the current process;
- Current NTIA operational involvement and if/how this needs to be
replaced or compensated for.

Current processes are documented in
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sac-067-en.pdf, pages 10-22.

Alan