[DT-F] Design Team F kickoff

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 8 00:05:52 UTC 2015

Jordan
There is no possibility that IANA or ICANN will assume the RZM function in the near term. NTIA has deliberately reserved that from the transition and it is politically sensitive in Washington.

If there is movement of the IANA department into a legally separate affiliate with a board that is independent of ICANN, the thought of PT-IANA assuming the RZM functions is not so scary. There might be security and economic advantages in integrating the functions. If there is not such separation, I agree with you that a line of business restriction on concentrating these functions under ICANN would be a Really Bad Idea.

It might be good to catalogue the benefits and drawbacks of separating the RZM from the IANA function as part of the output of this group. If we understand and articulate better the purpose of the separation, our proposed framework might be better able to understand the requirements.

--MM