[DT-F] Design Team F kickoff

Jordan Carter jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Tue Apr 7 22:41:16 UTC 2015

There's one thing that might be an elephant in this room or might not -
which is the possibility or otherwise of the RZM being ICANN/IANA.

Without having discussed it with those who are actively working on these
things, I think a line of business restriction on ICANN or IANA from ever
doing that job themselves should be part of the transition plan.

Is it possible to link through to any content that could give us guidance
on the *output* we need to deliver from this DT? Or is that the framework
we need now to build (agreeing that doing so in 4 days isn't doable)?

cheers
Jordan

On 8 April 2015 at 10:05, David Conrad <david.conrad at icann.org> wrote:

> Milton,
>
> David's proposed principles are a nice starting point but are quite
> generic and I don't see the value of calling for things like "accuracy" -
> no one will argue for inaccuracy and unless we can propose a framework that
> we believe improves accuracy, stability, etc. I am not sure of the value of
> such an exercise.
>

> I had thought the idea behind the framework was that it would come up with
> the mechanisms by which the root management system could  evolve, including
> such areas as accuracy, stability, etc., instead of having us come up with
> that evolution (in 3 days and counting).  This isn't suggesting that anyone
> would argue for inaccuracy, rather it is suggesting that it would be good
> to have a process by which the existing system can be improved.
>
> My understanding of the call for principles was to make sure we were all
> on the same page with regards to what we wanted to address in terms of the
> characteristics of the post-NTIA root management system.  I don't have a
> strong opinion on that matter, but figured it might be helpful.
>
> I suggest that we continue working on this beyond the 4 days and start
> adjusting our framework to the proposed model that the CWG seems to be
> converging on.
>

> A step before that would be to actually have a framework, no?
>
> Regards,
> -drc

Jordan Carter

Chief Executive
*InternetNZ*

04 495 2118 (office) | +64 21 442 649 (mob)
jordan at internetnz.net.nz
Skype: jordancarter

*A better world through a better Internet *