[DT-F] URGENT: My thoughts on DT-F Replies to Public Comments.

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Jun 1 22:22:28 UTC 2015

At 01/06/2015 04:40 PM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
>Thanks Alan for taking the first stab at this.  My responses are
>inserted below.
>
>Chuck

[AG] Fine.

>Item 297.2. It is reasonable that there be a linkage between any
>advisory group that would recommend tat significant changes be
>approved, and the CSC. I will incorporate that into the next version
>of the DT-F Recommendations.
>[Chuck Gomes] Agree.
>

>Item 300.1. My understanding is that all changes ARE currently
>verified with registries. David. Does that match your understanding?
>[Chuck Gomes] That is my understanding as well.
>

>Item 300.2. It is reasonable to specify that directo customers be
>included. I am not at all sure I would restrict it to them and IANA.
>[Chuck Gomes] Who else would you include Alan?  Would it suffice to
>just agree with Nominet on this?

[AG] I would include pretty much the same bodies that we are
suggesitng be included in the review of major operational changes.
Certainly SSSAG, Root Zone operators and so forth.

>Item 300.3. Correct. We did decide that it should be the ICANN
>Board, but it either was omitted accidentally or the decision was
>made after publication.
>[Chuck Gomes] Agree.
>

>Item 304. Noted and the next version of the Recommendations will
>provide further details.
>[Chuck Gomes] This item has three parts so I think it would be
>better to separate them like you did on others.  Noting the comments
>for 304.1 and 304.3 seems fine. But I think we need to say more for
>304.2 because they are specifically suggesting formation of a new
>ICANN advisory committee.  My first question is this: if a committee
>was formed, should it be an ICANN or PTI advisory committee?  My
>second question is: would one advisory committee work for different
>architecture and/or operational issues?  I suspect not.  @ Alan:
>what further details are you referring to?

[AG] As I read it, the 2nd paragraph is referring to what I had
originally called Board subcommittee that would oversee the review of
substantive changes. We said this "committee" would not necessarily
be the actual people that contributed to any given decision but hat
it would ensure that the appropriate people/bodies are involved.

>Item 306.1. Noted and the next version of the Recommendations will
>provide further details.
>[Chuck Gomes] It is not clear what is 306.1 and 306.2.

[AG] Sorry, I messed up the numbering here.

>  In our response, we will need to be specific about what we are
> responding to.  Also, it seems to me that there are more than two
> comments here to which we should respond: 1) The BC supports the
> CWG recommendation that the replacement for NTIA approval function
> should be clearly designated, especially for major operational
> changes; 2) A solid approval function and transparent process must
> be defined in details before the transition and must not be left
> open to be defined at a later stage; 3) it is essential for the
> recommendation to explicitly establish which entity will have the
> role of approval, and to explicitly establish the process that
> would be used for consultation to ensure a high level of community
> support for major changes; 4) The BC also recommends that the
> community be given an update on the parallel process of
> transitioning the Root Zone Maintainer role; 5) we call the CWG to
> include a mechanism that would enable tracking of content changes
> in the Root Zone and reversal if necessary. Here are my personal
> may need to provide details, which I assume is part of what is
> meant in the response for 306.1; 4) I assume the first response
> below for 306.2 covers this; 5) Does the IANA team already do this
> and, if so, we should say that or, if not, should we recommend it?

[AG] Your answers are fine. On the last item, I am sure that IANA
tracks what they do and could unwind if needed. If it does not, I
don't think our job is to recommend such changes but it could be
included in the post-transition review.

Alan