[CWG-RFP3] Is there is a more suitable legal jurisdiction for an IANA subsidiary?

Carolina Aguerre carolina at lactld.org
Tue Nov 4 13:53:02 UTC 2014

Hi Jordan, All,
While I tend to agree that it would not be a good idea to separate the
jurisdictions of ICANN and IANA, I would like to have evidence-based
arguments in favour of a California -based jurisdiction. I am not a
lawyer, nor an expert in international legislation, but I would like to
know:
a) What are the specific safeguards that California provides with
respect to other States in the US for an international non-profit such
as ICANN?
b) Are there specific benefits in having an international non-profit
organization based under a regime within a Federal system - with its own
state judiciaries, rather than a united national jurisdiction?

I think that it is precisely by pointing at evidence and facts that the
whole issue around the ICANN - IANA jurisdiction might become less
politicized.
Thanks.
Best regards,
Carolina