[CWG-RFP3] Is there is a more suitable legal jurisdiction for anIANA subsidiary?

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Wed Nov 5 19:07:12 UTC 2014

The group of organizations working on the NGO Accountability Charter in
the link Robert just sent around is very instructive:

ActionAid International,
Amnesty International
Caritas Internationalis
Care International
CBM International
CIVICUS World Alliance for Citizen Participation,
CORDAID
European Environmental Bureau
Greenpeace International
Educo
IRC (International Water & Sanitation Centre)
Oxfam International
Plan International
Sightsavers International
SOS Kinderdorf International
The Forest Trust
World Vision International
World YWCA

These organizations may all be doing important work but - UNLIKE ICANN -
they are NOT regulating commercial behavior. If I don¹t like what
Greenpeace is doing, I won¹t make a contribution.  But I can¹t operate a
top level domain or sell registrations in .com without paying ICANN and
complying with the policies it imposes.  It seems fairly obvious to me
that ICANN should be held to a different accountability standard.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  /
becky.burr at neustar.biz / www.neustar.biz