[CWG-RFP3] Coordination of Subgroup 3

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Nov 5 19:43:58 UTC 2014

* The NTIA performs a certain role that it has asked the Internet community to replace

Incorrect. NTIA has never used the word “replace.” It has ALWAYS used the word “transition.” Which means there need not be a 1-to-1 mapping between what NTIA currently does and what the new arrangements are.

* We think we know what role is but we're not sure

Wrong again. Most of us do know what that role is, the IANA contract and a growing body of additional commentary (e.g., SSAC paper, IANA slide presentation at ICANN51) elaborates. A few ambiguities about whether the registry change requests came before or after the NTIA review and approval were just cleared up by David.