[CWG-RFP3] Is there is a more suitable legal jurisdiction for anIANA subsidiary?

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 20:52:40 UTC 2014

Carlton:

You haven't actually answered my question: What are the jurisdictional
concerns raised if IANA (now a division within ICANN) was put into a
non-profit corporate entity resident and incorporated in California?

I don't think that separability and jurisdiction are conjoined issues.
Separability primarily has to do with the ability to remove the IANA group
from ICANN control at some future time if actions of ICANN make that
necessary at some future time.  This can be done perfectly well (and much
more easily) without putting IANA in a separate jurisdiction.

As for "US control" -- I don't see how that fits into the discussion here,
which is about the physical and legal location of a private (i.e.,
non-governmental) entity.  I fail to see the connection to "US control.".
Please let me know what your specific concerns are in this regard.

Thanks.

Greg Shatan