[CWG-RFP3] Strawman Proposal 4

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 10:35:02 UTC 2014

Hi Avri and Greg,

This is with reference to the Strawman 4 added to the matrix:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kO8dtSdkTnH79FSUsxA8KmPv1O2IfYwYFm2k_CIoNMw/edit

While I am familiar with how trusts operate in my country, I am not able to
comprehend the use of trusts as done in Strawman 4. Maybe someone can help
explain the nature of laws under which this proposal is being contemplated.

As I understand, trusts are generally established between three legal
entities: the author, trustee and the beneficiary.

The person who reposes or declares the confidence is called the “author of
the trust”; The person who accepts the confidence is called the “trustee”;
the person for whose benefit the confidence is accepted is called the
“beneficiary”.

In Strawman 4, who are these entities?

There is reference to a ICG like panel without any legal status - I suppose
a committee within ICANN - is that the beneficiary? Who are you proposing
the trustee be? Are you suggesting that that the trustee contract the IANA
operator (ICANN) on behalf of the beneficiary (also ICANN)?

I'm not able to see how all of this works - Maybe someone could help
explain.