[CWG-RFP3] Strawman Proposal 4

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Nov 14 18:37:14 UTC 2014

Guru,

I am not familiar with the use of a trust in this fashion either, nor can I
see how it would work.

Under, US law, trusts operate essentially the same way as you describe.
The "author" is typically called the "Settlor" or the "Grantor," but the
role is the same.  Typically, a trust is used for the holding of money or
other assets.  The Settlor typically donates the assets to the Trust, and
the Beneficiary ultimately gets the benefit of these assets.  The Trustee
(sometimes also called the Administrator) manages the Trust, and has a
"fiduciary responsibility" to both the Settler and the Beneficiary (but
typically, no responsibility to anyone else).  Sometimes, the Trustee
legally named in the document will hire a professional "Administrator" to
run the trust (this often happens where a family member is the Trustee).

Avri, it would be helpful if you could provide some examples of a trust
being used in this manner, or some explanations.  It would also be helpful
to know what entity (or entities) you envision as the party (or parties) to
the agreement that is being "held in trust."  Following the trust structure
as far as I can, I suppose this would be the "Settlor," but who is this?

Thanks!

Greg