[CWG-RFP3] Seperabilty

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Mon Nov 24 10:28:53 UTC 2014

Hi

My understanding of where we were at the end of the meeting was that 1)
we discussed the various options, 2) nothing is decided and 3) there was
no discussion of consensus (nor from my perspective was there any sense
that option 2 described by Avri below was the agreed option).   There
was discussion (and that was all) that it might be preferable to allow
the Periodic Review Team to make decisions as to what the contract
period is and what the mechanisms for renewal are.  However, until we
have discussed the detail as to the composition, independence, powers,
etc., of the Periodic Review Team I would argue that it is to early to
suggest that we are anywhere near consensus.

I echo Avri and Milton's concerns.   A proposal that does not fully
account for the operational _and_ stewardship roles of the NTIA would be
inadequate.  Strong separability - the ability to withdraw the contract
from ICANN and to award it to another party through a process that is
independent of ICANN and based on RFPs and a term-limited contract - is
essential.   BTW - this is what we have at the moment and it has not
impaired nor threatened operational stability.

Matthew

--
Matthew Shears
Director - Global Internet Policy and Human Rights
mshears at cdt.org
+ 44 771 247 2987