[CWG-Stewardship] scope and accountability

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri Nov 21 11:33:03 UTC 2014

Let me elaborate a little more now that I am on my laptop and not just my phone.

First of all, because I was also not in Frankfurt nor able to participate much remotely and have not yet had time to review the results of the F2F in detail, my initial thoughts need to be taken in that context.

But to the extent that the recommendations that came out of the F2F meeting do not reflect a strong requirement that the IANA Transition should not happen before broader independent ICANN Accountability mechanisms are assured, then I believe that they ignore one of the clear requirements that that the community in near unanimity stated in public comments and dialog.  And I also think that the IANA Stewardship Transition CWG Charter allowed for connection of the two separate work efforts in that way.

That said, I will try to catch up in the next few days.  And I believe that we have plenty of time now to correct this if in fact it is not reflected sufficiently in the F2F results.

Finally, regardless of the above, I want to thank and compliment all of those who worked very long and hard in the F2F meeting.  You had a huge task in an extremely short timeframe and I am confident that you produced draft recommendations that the community can now review, comment and improve.

Chuck