[CWG-Stewardship] scope and accountability

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Nov 21 11:50:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I think two  issues are being confounded.

One is the dependency that any solution for stewardship can't go forward
until there is a response to ICANN accountability - this of course
assumes the function stays with ICANN.

The other is the aspects of the accountability aspects for IANA that are
part of the CWG work and that need to hold even if ICANN did not retain
the function for some reason.

While these are naturally linked, they are also different.  In terms of
names, we need to have accountability no matter who has the contract,
and we need to have ways to react if it isn't.  This I think was
discussed - at least it seemed as if it was while I was in remote
attendance.

While I was also not there but was on line for about 6 hours, I thought
they were working on the shape of the solution including accountabilty
issues for IANA.  I did not know  they discussed the first issue, which
I thought was predetermined, that until there is an ICANN accountability
solution, we cannot finalize the Stewardship transition.  But I still
have reading to catch up with.

avri