[CWG-Stewardship] Concern with Contract Co.

Guru Acharya gurcharya at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 04:22:53 UTC 2014

I quite like the current form of the proposal and feel we are headed in the
right direction.

That said, I can understand why Olivier is upset.

We started off with three strawman proposals, which were modular and mix
and match, leading to an endless number of permutations to be discussed in
Frankfurt.

The discussion in Frankfurt started on a good constructive note wherein
there appeared to be immediate consensus that IANA should stay in ICANN;
eliminating the modular aspects of Strawman 2 & 3 that represented IANA as
a subsidiary and IANA as an independent corporation.

Then we came to the discussion of the Oversight Body and there appeared to
be somewhat of a prolonged disagreement/holdout.

After a break, the coordinators completely abandoned the Strawman approach
and adopted a new approach, which everybody was slightly unprepared for.
This approach was to understand and list down the functions that NTIA
performs. This eventually turned into an exercise of faithfully replicating
the functions that NTIA performs. Replicating the NTIA functions eventually
led to the creation of a PRT, CSC and finally the Contract Co for holding
the IANA contract (that NTIA currently holds).

People slowly started realising that an exercise to faithfully replicate
NTIA automatically eliminates options that diverge from the NTIA model. For
example, the non-contractual model that Olivier seems to be arguing in
favour of, or the trust-like model that Avri argued for, or the model that
Bertrand now suggests, would naturally be eliminated from the discussion.

By this time it was the last RFP3 session of the last day of the
conference. Participants did object to the creation of Contract Co in the
followup sessions on the way ahead. These objections were tackled by saying
nothing in final and everything is open to change.

I can therefore understand why Olivier is up in arms when he now hears that
the Contract Co is final.

Funny are the ways of a multi-stakeholder process. In this case, mostly
driven by lack of time.

Please forgive me if my reading of Frankfurt is shallow. I am not pointing
fingers. Given the lack of time that we have had, I think Frankfurt was
handled exceptionally well. And I reiterate that I feel that the current
proposal is headed in the right direction. I'm just glad i'm not on the
other side of the argument.