[CWG-Stewardship] IANA Stewardship CWG Process Steps Proposal

Kieren McCarthy kieren at kierenmccarthy.com
Mon Oct 6 22:12:28 UTC 2014

> It is at a lower level of detail than I intended but it would be good
that we start doing it now.
> Understanding that we should do what you suggest on an ongoing basis, do
you have any
> suggestions for groups that might be missed?

I thought it would work best as a step 4 in your plan.

1. Describe processes
2. Identify where USG involved
3. Identify parts that need to be replaced

They can all be done with the current group of knowledgeable people.

But once those key parts are identified:

4. Identify groups that will be impacted and ensure they are properly
represented

At that stage, we could look at everyone on the CWG, see who they broadly
represent and ask the question: is anyone missing that should be here?

I think we'll see this CWG group grow following the LA meeting so it may be
that there are no gaps. For the same reason, not sure it's worthwhile doing
the exercise now because of that expected growth.

But once the key components are identified, it makes sense to make sure
those impacted know we are discussing changes that they will likely want to
be involved in but may not be a party to.

I thought this was a sufficiently high-level idea for it to be worth
considering at the very early stages to ensure maximum buy-in.

The risk of course is that people only hear about proposed changes when
they are already well advanced. Would be good to avoid a situation like the
"overarching issues" two-year detour on the new gTLD process.

Kieren