[CWG-Stewardship] Comments on principles

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Thu Oct 23 15:52:18 UTC 2014

In regard to ICANN being organized  under US law (or, more precisely, the non-profit corporation law of the state of California, as all US corporations are organized under state law) --

There have been suggestions, voiced most recently during the LA GAC meeting, that the IANA transition is insufficient because at the end ICANN will still be a US non-profit and that therefore it should be reorganized as an entity under "International law". But there is in fact no body of International law under which ICANN could be chartered; the closest one could come to that would be to establish it (or a successor entity) as an Intergovernmental organization having aspects of sovereign immunity -- but the NTIA transition principles make clear that this is not an acceptable option.

If the IANA functions or some subset of them are placed outside of ICANN then we can debate under the laws of what jurisdiction the entity exercising them should be organized. If there is a decision to continue to have a party/counterparty arrangement for a revised IANA contract, with some entity replacing the USG/DOC as counterparty, then we can discuss what choice of law provision should be in that contract so far as interpretation and enforcement go.

But if ICANN is to remain a multistakeholder private sector entity then it must be organized under the laws of some nation and it will continue to conduct its activities through contractual arrangements specifying a choice of jurisdiction. So even if it were to reorganize under Swiss law, for example, its contracts might remain subject to US enforcement depending on the choice of law provision in its contracts.

What is to be gained by a movement away from the US to some other jurisdiction? The only objection I have heard voiced to the present arrangement is that as a US entity ICANN is subject to the US Treasury's OFAC list that prohibits business with designated terrorist or criminal organizations. So ISIS and mafia-style entities cannot be contracted parties or applicants for new gTLDs -- is that an issue to concern us?

Remember also that ICANN remains a signatory to the Affirmation of Commitments (AOC) with the USG, which requires it to remain a non-profit entity headquartered in California. While there has been speculation that ICANN might exercise its right to withdraw from the AOC post-transition, there is no realistic possibility that it will do so during the life of this CWG.

So any discussion of ICANN's legal status by this CWG must be bounded by the realities that the NTIA will not accept a transition plan that proposes an intergovernmental organization and that the AOC requires ICANN to maintain a US HQ.

One note: The California non-profit law will arise in the separate CCWG on Enhanced Accountability, insofar that ICANN has taken the position in regard to the highest level of accountability that now exists for it, the Independent Review Panel, that its findings are merely advisory and not binding and that CA law prohibits any outside third party from having the power to override Board decisions.  But that is largely an issue to be confronted by the other CCWG, not this CWG.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050