[CWG-Stewardship] [IANA-issues] ccTLDs - was Names Community vs the other two communities

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Mon Oct 27 15:17:24 UTC 2014

Whoa!  There are an awful lot of sweeping statements here that fly in the
face of the one clearly true statement that there is enormous diversity
among ccTLD models.

In particular, the distinction between ³legacy² ccTLDs and ³contracted²
ccTLDs does not reflect my understanding of history.  In the early days of
ICANN there was a significant push (including by me) for ccTLDs to
recognize ICANN¹s authority (as the IANA Administrator) to intervene in
the event that a ccTLD was threatening the security and stability of the
DNS and/or Internet.  Some early ICANN enthusiasts - for a host of VERY
DIFFERENT reasons - caused their ccTLD to enter into contracts with ICANN.
 The whole concept quickly fell apart when it became clear that most ccTLD
managers were not interested and, in particular, when the US government
refused to do so.  As a result, there are a very small number of ccTLDs
with full blown contracts with ICANN.  And to say that they have
surrendered sovereignty to ICANN is extraordinary hyperbole.  I am sure
that the operators of .CA, .JP, and .AU - as well as the respective
governments of the associated countries - would vehemently disagree.

Since that time a number of ccTLD operators - again for a host of VERY
DIFFERENT reasons - have ³exchanged letters² or entered into
³accountability frameworks² with ICANN.  These vary as well, some involve
³mutual recognition² and some involve much less than that.  The exchange
of letters with Luxembourg is illustrative.
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/lu-icann-letters-22feb11-en.pdf
.  It says that .LU will be operated ³at the local level and in close
cooperation with the local Internet community and in compliance with
Luxembourg law.²  The manager then acknowledges its responsibility not to
mess up the stability and security of the DNS.  The exchange of letters
with the Solomon Islands likewise commits the operator to operate its name
servers in a stable and secure manner ³within the limits of national law
and national public policy.²
https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/sb-icann-letters-30oct07-en.pdf

As someone who spends a significant amount of time with the ccTLD
community, I can assure you that ccTLD operators have not ³lost their
ability for self-accountability.²  Acknowledging the FACT that ICANN
performs IANA services simply does not amount to ³ceding authority² to
ICANN.

Second, to my knowledge, IANA was NEVER ³automated.²  It¹s possible that
until 1998 you could simply enter the IP address of a new name server on
the IANA website, which IANA then passed on to Network Solutions/Verisign
to implement, and it felt ³automatic² - but I¹m pretty certain that this
was a very manual process.  In 1998 the US government used its contract
with Network Solutions/Verisign to prohibit Verisign to unilaterally make
changes to the root.  If you were part of this in 1998, it isn¹t hard to
understand why - we were concerned that Verisign would use its access to
thwart the emerging consensus around bottom-up, private sector led,
representative and diverse management of the domain name system.

The fact is that the vast majority of ccTLD operators participate in the
ccNSO and/or regional organizations.  Even so, it is entirely possible for
those who prefer not to do so to make their voices heard on both policy
and technical issues associated with IANA.  I have a great deal of respect
for Paul Kane, but the suggestion that participating involves a surrender
of sovereignty is way over the top IMHO.

Finally, many many ccTLD operators depend on cost-free IANA services. I
agree with Christopher about the importance of maintaining that situation.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  /
becky.burr at neustar.biz / www.neustar.biz