[CWG-Stewardship] [IANA-issues] Fwd: Names Community vs the other two communities

Burr, Becky Becky.Burr at neustar.biz
Tue Oct 28 15:17:51 UTC 2014

Thanks Elise, very helpful.  I was thinking that the “oversight counsel” would focus on technical and operational issues as opposed to policy issues:  Things like SLAs, how quickly name server changes are processed, etc. Where a government actually operates the ccTLD, it would be direct consumers of IANA services, like gTLDs and ccTLDs.

But policy for IANA would remain in existing ICANN processes.  Could you help me understand which technical/operational IANA services might raise “public interest” concerns?  I agree with you that having some GAC reps on a Oversight Counsel would not be inconsistent with the Strickling view, but I am curious about why GAC might want to participate in that kind of counsel.

J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
Office: + 1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  / becky.burr at neustar.biz<mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz> / www.neustar.biz