[CWG-Stewardship] Initial Discussion Draft on Transition Models

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 22:47:30 UTC 2015

I think that any of the following are legally possible:

1. ICANN retains the contracts with the RIRs and IETF, with a minor
amendment allowing ICANN to offer the service, but have the service
fulfilled by its wholly-controlled affiliate (or wholly-owned subsidiary)
PTI.
2. ICANN enters into an "assignment and assumption" agreement whereby PTI
takes over ICANN's position in the agreements.
3, ICANN and the RIRs/IETF terminate the current agreements, and IANA
enters into new agreements with the RIRs and IETF.

The first option fits the principle of "change as little as possible (and
explain any change you make".
The second option fits the principle of "make PTI as easily separable from
ICANN as possible."
The third option fits the principle of "let's make everything messy and
complicated."

Greg
(Caveat: Not legal advice, but a response from a lawyer)

*Gregory S. Shatan **ï* *Abelman Frayne & Schwab*

*Partner* *| IP | Technology | Media | Internet*

*666 Third Avenue | New York, NY 10017-5621*

*Direct*  212-885-9253 *| **Main* 212-949-9022

*Fax*  212-949-9190 *|* *Cell *917-816-6428

*gsshatan at lawabel.com <gsshatan at lawabel.com>*

*ICANN-related: gregshatanipc at gmail.com <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>*

*www.lawabel.com <http://www.lawabel.com/>*