[CWG-Stewardship] The reverse hybrid model starts from a faulty premise (was: The Reverse Hybrid Model)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Apr 14 11:48:40 UTC 2015

[Note: I trimmed the cc: list, since I think this is really just a CWG
discussion now.]

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 08:54:38AM +0000, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

> would at least like to get a high level response from Sidley as to
> whether they think there may be some ideas in the model that could
> be useful.

I don't especially mind if we ask Sidley for an opinion, but I'm
wondering what ideas you think might be in here that are useful.  For
I think the entire model starts from the wrong premise.

As Greg quite correctly notes in his description, Paul Kane has been
clear that the issue for him is stewardship of IANA (see
http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/cwg-stewardship/2015-April/002613.html).
This is because he starts from the position that that stewardship is
currently provided by the US DoC through NTIA.

My claim is that such stewardship does not in fact apply to all the
operational communities, and therefore stewardship of IANA overall is
not actually a problem we ought to be solving (nor one that we can
solve).  Once you reject the stewardship premise, as I argued, there's
actually nothing distinct in the "reverse hybrid" model that ought to
be preserved.  It might provide at best duplication of functions that
ought properly to live within the names policy community.  The only
reason I can imagine for creating such duplication is that one does
not believe that the names community actually can provide the needed
policy checks.  If that's the case, no model will save us: the plan to
move out from under NTIA is doomed.

This is somewhat related to the discussion of "spilling the board"
yesterday.  If the problem we're defending against has to do with some
sort of non-performance or malfeasance of the purely clerical
functions of IANA, then it's absurd to talk about removing ICANN board
members (or even the entire board) when, plainly, much less dramatic
intervention is possible.  But if the problem actually is ICANN board
interference in carrying out the IANA function, or an ICANN board that
insisted IANA act contrary to legitimate legal requirements or
something like that, then removal of the board _would_ be legitimate
to consider.  But this would not be because of some IANA failing, but
because the board was acting contrary to its responsibilities to the
ICANN community.