[CWG-Stewardship] DT-F Changes and comment replies

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Apr 21 01:46:35 UTC 2015

Changes:

- The title for section III.A.iii is replicated,
once all in upper case and then again under III.A.iii.a in regular case.

- Replace Paragraph 4 in both the III.A.iii and Annex N with:

Control of Root Zone Control Management

Currently updating the Root Zone requires the
active participation of three parties, the IANA
Functions Operator, the Root Zone Maintainer and
the NTIA. The IANA Functions Operator receives
change requests from various sources, validates
them, and sends them to the Root Zone Maintainer
who, once they are authorized by the NTIA,
updates the Root Zone File, DNSSEC signs it, and
distributes it to the Root operators.

Post transition there will only be the IANA
Functions Operator and the Root Zone Maintainer.
It is clear that the CWG is not suggesting any
change to this operational relationship at the
moment, but is considering whether this division
of responsibility must be maintained in the long
term, or could be altered in the future, either
to combine the functions, or two reallocated the
responsibilities. Proponents of the current
division believe that having two parties involved
reduces the chance of errors or untoward action.
Others believe that we should look at the overall
system and if and when there are to be changes,
we should design something that is optimal,
without prior constraints. Comments are welcome on this issue.

Replies to comments:

Section III.A.iii

Paragraph 2.c

Martin: it is not clear who is funding whom.  I
think that the budget would be provided by ICANN
to the PTI Board to support the IANA functions operator's capability
)

AG: Yes, that is the likely source of funding as
we are discussing now. But the statement is more
generic. IANA must have adequate funds to allow
the Root Zone management function to evolve. If
at some point in the future the funds come from
somewhere else, the statement is still true.

Paragraph 4

Sidley: title is cryptic, as is text describing "two functions"
Martin: No changes at the start possible pending
a review. RZ Maintainer may query instructions if there is a problem.
Andrew Sullivan: No change at start, and then anything could change.

Martin's comment on RZ Maintainer being allowed
to raise questions is part of the current
operational environment and not change is envisioned.

AG: This section is there because some DT-F
members felt very strongly that it was important
to state as an inviolate principle. Others have
pointed out that double control can reduce points
of failure, but this particular division of
responsibilities does not necessarily do that.
*IF* a division is to be maintained, it is not
clear that the current division of
responsibilities is optimal. There has been
significant discussion within the group AFTER
this wording was frozen. I have revised the wording.

Annex N

Paragraph 1.a

Andrew Sullivan: Asks why is "act as approver" a
very short term approach and this section seems like "over-specifying"

AG:
This covers the possibility that the software
could not be changed in time, or more likely to
not HAVE to change it at the exact moment of
transition. It could be used in the longer term,
but that adds unnecessary work and there is no
substantive reason to do so. Perhaps it is
over-specifying but several people intimately
involved in the actual process thought it was worth including.

Paragraph 2.a

Andrew Sullivan: (Paraphrased) If we no longer
need the NTIA, why do we need a new "approver"
instead of relying on the MS Community?

AG: There was (I believe) unanimity that we do
want this. The belief was that for major changes,
there should be a formal path to mae the decision
and not just leave it up to IANA with whatever
consultation they feel might be appropriate. The
new big-brother IS the MS community, but embodied
in an some designated entity. It has been
suggested that the ICANN Board might be that
entity, but that needs further discussion.

Paragraph 3.a

Andrew Sullivan: Publication after a decision
does not seem to be a big deal, but before a
decision might lead to wider consultation.

AG: Publication of approved changes (generally
changes requested by a registry) would allow
independent review that what Verisign publishes is what IANA requested.

The publication of pending redelegation requests
is both transparency AND an opportunity for wider
consultation. It is reporting that has often been
requested. RFC 1591 calls for the involvement in
the local community, but currently, if a segment
of the community is not explicitly involved by
one of the parties, they may not even know a redelegation is being considered.

Alan