[CWG-Stewardship] architectural changes to the root system

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Apr 22 20:06:13 UTC 2015

Good point. While the policy might be developed by some combination of ccNSO and GNSO, The "decider" should be the PTI board, not the ICANN board. Speaking as someone who was on DT-F, we understood these "architectural changes" to be processes that drew on a broad range of expertise around the community, and viewed NTIA's role as someone who made the final approval rather than as someone who ran the policy process.

Another point here is that ICANN's policy making apparatus is actually poorly organized when it comes to decisions that cross ccTLD and GTLD lines. I think they would have to form a cross-community working group to deal with such issues. Nothing terribly difficult about that, but I still think it makes a lot more sense for the recommendations of such a ccwg to be submitted to the PTI board for approval than the ICANN board.